Thursday, July 22, 2010

No Spirit of Fear








There are few experiences as exhilarating as leading someone to Christ for the first time. Today one of our youngest team members overcame her shyness and fear and led two Muslims to Christ. As we were talking about it later Melissa Slayden related just how it felt to overcome a fear that had hindered her for years. She said, "it was really, really scary but I was able to do it anyway." Melissa is 16 and hearing her say that reminded me of the very first person I ever led to Christ at age 18. It is so encouraging to see our young people have such a heart for the lost to come to Christ.

Another student on our team is Ryan Ramirez who is 17. Ryan was on Kat's evangelism team and began the day feeling tentative about speaking up. Later as Kat was already sharing Christ with a 50 year old man, two ladies approached Ryan and he began to boldly share the gospel. Kat shared with us that as she was finishing her witnessing encounter she thought that Ryan was simply waiting on her to return to home base but was excited to see that he was actually praying with these ladies to receive Christ and His free gift of eternal life.

Tonight was reunion night with several of the young translators from previous trips coming to our guest house for dinner. When dinner was over they wanted to hear some of our new songs and we ended up all singing and praising God together in a time of anointed worship. It reminded me of the scene described in Revelation 7:9 in which people from every tribe, tongue and nation gather around the throne of God to worship Him together.

We are truly feeling your prayers. Thank you for clearing the way for our mission.

God Bless You,

Pastah Don

My heart is so full. I am rejoicing with God my Savior for what He has done today! What an amazing time I had during our prayerwalk and street evangelism. God works through us when we allow Him! I led two 16 year old girls to the Lord today, Gladys and Caroline. They walked up during the Gospel presentation as I shared the Helping Hand with an older gentleman. Though he did not wish to pray @ that moment, he pointed to the 2 girls and said, “Why don’t you ask them if they are interested”. I shared the Gospel with them with the help of my interpreter, Christine. At the end when I said, “Do you have any questions?” they said “we want to pray and put our trust in Jesus”. So I led them in a prayer of salvation. With big smiles they thanked me. I invited them to Luzira Church and went on to the next divine appointment. We approached 3 women gathered together—a Catholic, a Muslim, and a Christian. By God’s grace, we made it through the presentation despite many interruptions including cell phones ringing, music blasting, and a seemingly disinterested group (at times the women would turn away and began talking and laughing amongst themselves). Christine began to speak to them very passionately about Yesu Cristo (Jesus). She was preaching ! Alice perked up and listened intently. By the time I reached the end of the Gospel presentation, Alice wanted to pray to receive Christ! She thanked us profusely for talking with her. She smiled for the first time since we had been together. She wanted us to go and tell many others the Truth. Wow!!! We made several other visits and prayed with many people bringing their needs and concerns before the Lord. We made many new friends and many said they would come to church on Sunday. I pray they will. This has been a great day!

-Blanca

Today was another amazing day. I love the school presentations more than I can say. Personally, as a teacher, these schools and the precious students have touched my heart more deeply than I can express in words. I am constantly amazed at how little these schools have and yet how much the children are learning. These children value the gift of education so much-I know that our sponsorships are literally changing lives. After lunch, we ate fried chicken and chips at Ms. Helen’s, then rested a bit before hitting the streets. I have been praying that the Lord would use me and make me bold to share his grace and truth. I have had many opportunities this week to do just that, as everyone we meet says “You are welcome here” and wants to hear what we came to say. Today, the Lord opened the door for Jackson, my translator, and I to share with a young shopkeeper about God’s gift to her. She came to know Christ today, and I can’t help but thank the Lord for the boldness he gave me. I know this trip is nearing its end, with Fun in the Son and Sunday service closing our journey out, but I truly do not know how to leave these people behind. I have lost my heart…to Uganda.

–Laura

4 comments:

slaydens said...

Oh, how God must be smiling right now! (His smile is probably even bigger than mine!) I am so proud of Melissa and Ryan, I can only imagine how proud our LORD must be!! May God continue to use each of you to transform the lives of those you meet!!

Love you!

Janet

Laurie McMillen said...

What an awesome time for the young missionaries. Even more awesome are the ones that heard the great news! It is definitely a time to rejoice! Melissa & Ryan, keep up the good work. There is no more fear in sharing! There may be a few tears of joy on this continent with the news.

rachel ramirez said...

oh ryan i am so proud of you, keep it up. I told you that you can touch hearts :)

rick elizondo said...

The angels in HEAVEN are rejoicing with all of you there in Africa. Our GOD is being GLORIFIED because of your faithfullness to HIM. May HE continue to be your strength as He transforms the lives in Africa and in each of your lives.
BLANCA(Macita) I am soooo proud of you and BLESS to be your husband. YOU ARE THE VERY BEST!!! :-)